Welcome to my little corner of "The Cloud"
LIST OF FREE PATTERNS
BOTTOM LEFT SIDE OF PAGE

FAVORITE PAGES INDEX TOP RIGHT
DOUBLE CLICK ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE FOR VIEWING
All patterns written in US crochet terms

Top 10 Most Popular Patterns This Week

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Retro Ring Trivet

Retro Canning Jar Ring Trivet
(without the canning jar rings)

Many may recognize this as your Grand-mother's favorite trivet.
Canning Jar Ring Trivets were very popular in the 40's through the early 60's

I believe the reason the old Canning Jar Ring pattern dropped out of popularity was because of the decline in home canning thereby reducing the availability of canning jar rings.  For a while the pattern struggled to stay alive with the substitution of plastic 6-pack rings but now they are also a thing from a different era.  In remembrance of this old pattern my trivet is made without the use of canning jar or plastic 6-pack rings.  

This trivet can be made in many sizes depending on the number of rings used.  I make two sizes, Small which uses 6 rings and Medium which uses 8 or 9 rings. (9 so I can use 3 colors of  rings)  This pattern is written for one with 6 rings but the pattern is basically the same for any size.  The  number of rings and the number of stitches on the connection chain are the only difference.  The larger trivet does leave a larger hole in the center which I do not like so I also added instruction on how to work a center insert to close that hole.

This pattern works up quickly and is another amazing stash-buster which is always a favorite of mine.

Less than 4 oz, WW weight or rug yarn acrylic or cotton in colors of your choice
Size I - 9 hook or J for heavier yarn weights
Size 8 to 9 inches at the widest point for 6 ring using WW yarn
Pattern written in American terms / adjust for UK

Ring:  
Chain 18, (or 20 ) being careful not to twist chain, sl st in first ch to join. Do not turn  Ch 3, dc in same stitch, 2 dc in each stitch around 36 (or 40 sts) join to top of ch 3.  End off, work in ends.


Using the colors of your choice, make 6 (8 or 9) rings according to the size trivet you wish to create.

NOTE:  This connection chain length is for the 6 ring trivet.  A longer chain must be worked for a 9 ring trivet.  The length of the chain is not critical as long as it will work through all rings and be stitched together without drawing up the rings too tightly.  Better a tiny bit loose than too tight.

Connection Chain:  (for 6 ring trivet)
If you know how to work a foundation double crochet chain, ch 40 sts.  If you want to learn how to work a foundation double crochet chain ( fdc) tutorial here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGPkRHF0rUw

If you do not know how to work a foundation chain, ch 42, dc in 3th st from hook and each st across, end off , leave long tail for sewing the ends together later.  When working with the fdc, I don't usually cut my yarn until the weaving is done so I can add or remove stitches.  I just put a paper clip in the last stitch to hold it.  Plastic or plastic coated paper clips make excellent stitch markers .



Lay rings on each other, over-lapping one on top of the other in the color pattern you want. Weave the connection chain in and out of all the rings. To make it easier to see and understand I used a different color to weave through the rings because it is harder to explain than it is to do.


TIP: It may help to weave all the rings together in a straight line, pinning the ends of the connection chain together, then pull the trivet into its round shape before sewing the connection chain.

When all the rings are interlocked, sew the 2 ends of the connection ring together to secure the circle. 
Gently pull circle into shape and turn individual rings so the joins will be hidden under the overlap.

Edging  (or finish with edging of your choice)

Round 1  For the Cameo trivet at the top of the page, attach yarn with a sc in any ring and work 1 sc in next 11 sts, skip to next ring and work 1 sc in next 12 sts, skip to next ring, join all rings together in this manner, join, sl st in first sc..    
Round 2  Work sc, ch 2 *(sc in next st, ch 2) around skipping over the center loop, between each ring and ending with sl st in first sc.

Note:  I prefer to join my rings with single crochet and work a border from there.  If you prefer, you may work a round of double crochet instead.  Once the rings are connected and the shape is formed you may work the border you like.  This trivet is also very nice with a reverse single crochet also known as the crab stitch worked as the ring connection round.

Alternate Double Crochet Border 
For the 3 color connection chain on this trivet, ch 40,  followed by 2 rows of sl sts in alternating colors.
Round 1: Attach yarn where the outside of the rings overlap, putting the hook front to back through one stitch on each ring, pull yarn through and ch 3 (counts as dc), work picot in top of ch 3, dc in same stitch, "V" st with picot made. *(skip 1 stitch, dc, picot, dc in next st) 5 more times. (6 "V" sts, in same ring). Where next ring overlaps, work dc, picot, dc, through one loop of both rings to join rings together. Work around, being sure to join rings at overlap, ending with a slip st in top of chain 3.
  








********************************************
8 Ring Trivet














Working the same as for the 6 ring trivet, and adjusting the length of the connection chain you may make an 8 ring trivet if  you only want to use one or two colors for the rings.  The 8 ring trivet is almost as large as the 9 ring trivet but you must have a number of rings divisible by 3 if you want to use 3 colors for your rings in your trivet.  Instructions for 9 ring trivet follow..     

****************************************************************
 9 Ring Trivet 

Working the same as for the 6 ring trivet, create 9 rings in colors of your choice.
Make a 50 stitch connection chain in the method you prefer as described above.
Weave the rings together in the same manner as for the 6 ring trivet and sew the ends together.
Shape trivet and turn rings to conceal the joins under the overlap.
Single crochet around the around the outside edge of the rings to lock them in place.
Use same border as for the 6 ring trivet or add border of your choice.

On the 9 ring trivet you will notice the larger hole in the center of the finished trivet.  If you like it that way, sc a connection round on the inside of hole moving from ring to ring to hold the rings in place and you are finished.  I am not a fan of large holes in the center of trivets.  There are two easy ways to close the hole.  I have included instructions for both.

Method 1: To close the hole: (working on right side) 
Make a "magic circle" (A.K.A. magic ring, slip ring, slip loop ) 
Tutorial can be found here  http://www.allfreecrochet.com/Tutorials/How-to-Crochet-the-Magic-Circle# 
or on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHYVutk2iYY

Slip stitch in magic circle, *(chain 3, drop loop from hook, insert hook front to back in center stitch at top of any ring, pick up loop and pull through, yarn over and complete the slip stitch, ch 3, sl st in magic circle,) repeat from * around each of the 9 rings ending with ch 3, sl st in magic ring, end off. Pull yarn tails to back and work in ends. 

Method 2 To close the hole (working on right side) 
Chain 4, *(drop loop from hook, insert hook front to back in center stitch at top of any ring, pick up loop and pull through, yarn over and complete the slip stitch, ch 3, sl st in first st (beginning chain), chain 3, repeat from * around each of the 9 rings ending with ch 3, sl st in beginning chain, end off. Pull yarn tails to back and work in ends.  This method will still leave a hole in the center but it's a small hole.
1                                                  2                                                  3                                                  4


5                                                  6                                                   7                                             8


The Jar Ring Trivet pattern is a very old pattern apparently lost to time and this is my new adaptation of that design concept.
It is intended for personnel use only.
Commercial production is prohibited.

52 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I love it when practical and beauty come together.

      Delete
  2. I made this back when. Still have and use it to this day. To make mine I cut soda can 6-pack rings apart. It works well and is hand washable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one made with the soda can 6-pack rings, too--but I machine wash mine.

      Delete
    2. I never made one with the plastic 6-pack rings. I have used the canning jar rings and this pattern without the rings. I do not worry so much about how to wash them but worried about the plastic might melt in the dryer. Without the rings they can be machine washed and dried.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love this idea...I can't wait to try it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this wonderfu Trivet pattern. I am very excited to get started on The Retro Trivet.

    Kathleene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could not believe my eyes when I saw this pattern. I made these in the late 70's, early 80's and I'm still using them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This site won't let me print up this pattern. It keeps moving from side to side.As much as I like this pattern I guess I will have to figure out for myself how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the Print APP so visitors could print my patterns but from time to time someone has trouble with the APP. There are 3 print buttons and one out of those three usually works for almost everyone. Since it is not my APP I cannot fix it but I can send you the pattern. I am sorry it did not work for you. Since you did not identify yourself, please go to my "profile" and use the email link to contact me. I will send you a PDF file of the pattern. Be sure to write Pattern on the subject line.

      Delete
  7. Have made with the old 6 pack rings, however they are no longer round. Love this style of hot pad. Thank you so very much for the way to continue making this item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desperate moments call for desperate measures. Us old girls still have a few tricks right ?

      Delete
  8. oh my gosh how I love this...The last one looks so Celtic. I so love Retro/Vintage/Kitschy I wish I could find more. THANK YOU so much

    Conni of Hegewisch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I myself love unique. I love items that look hard to make but are really easy. I love texture and bazaar color combinations. I crochet for fun. "Yarn bomb the world !"

      thanks Doris

      Delete
  9. Thank you for posting this. I made a bunch of these years ago but have lost the pattern. Yours is easy to follow with a beautiful finished project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please tell me how to get this pattern. I really would like to make some of these for my adult kids. I have clicked on the printer friendly button and nothing happens. I have tried to block out the pattern and pictures and print it but that also does not work. What am I doing wrong. Thank you.

    Elizabeth
    email: lafleurtx@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the Print APP so visitors could print my patterns but from time to time someone has trouble with the APP. There are 3 print buttons and one out of those three usually works for almost everyone. Since it is not my APP I cannot fix it but I have sent you the pattern. I am sorry it did not work for you.

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for the pattern. I used to make these using 6-pack rings when I was a child, but couldn't remember how to put them together. Thank you for bring back the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was trying to think of something little to give to people (co-workers, hostess, thinking of you gifts) and it gets harder each year. You have solved my problem for this year. Thank you SO much. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, that is exactly why I do it. I love my yarn "stash". This type of item is easily created from your stash, all colors can come into play and you simply cannot make an ugly one. It is pretty, practical for any home, is worth giving but does not make someone feel obligated. A gift from the heart. PS: The Kitchen Kolors Trivet is easier than it looks but does take more yarn and time.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing this pattern! I can't wait to start making them today for Christmas presents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad to have found this. We made these in my younger days using the plastic rings that held 6 cans of pop together. Of course, you couldn't put anything super hot on it, but we would set serving bowls on them on the table. I was telling our Pepsi delivery guy about them. I wanted to make one to show him, but couldn't remember all the details. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the slow decline of the rubber canning jar rings, the innovated substitution was the 6 pack rings. But they proved to be an environmental hazard as well as a danger to wildlife and are also a part of our past. True they did hold the pattern shape but as you said, anything really hot would melt the rings. The new yarns are flame retardant and can survive both heat and the automatic washer and dryer process. These make up really nice with cotton yarn as well as acrylic, but acrylic has a better selection (to my way of thinking) than the cotton yarns. Heavier yarns tend to hold the shape better. I have not tried them with two strands of yarn held together but that might be interesting. Thank you for your comment. Dorie

      Delete
  15. mom stillhas one of the old ones with rubber rings.I cnat waitto make them, I beleive up here in thecountry we can hunt the rubbrr rings up but they are getting expensive,. A few people still use sealer jars and not masons esp mennonite community
    The rubber rings make it perfect for hot pots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I was in the fourth grade my sister and I would make the rings for our mother using up her small balls of yarn. She would put them together with either black or white yarn. They were well received by everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Practical and Pretty, an unbeatable combination and apparently still well received.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much! I also did these potholders with the plastic rings. I am so happy to get this pattern!! I can't wait to make some up. Again Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. :) I have one made by a friend "Way back when".. it is harder to find rubber rings.. no white ones no matter how hard I look! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in the late 40's or early 50's when we change to the Kerr self sealing lids. I would not know where to begin to look for the rubber rings now and I bet they cost a fortune. You cannot get "round" 6 pack rings anymore either, that is why I brought the pattern back without the rings.

      Delete
  20. This is beautiful. Thank you for the lovely pattern. Hopefully one day I may be able to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It looks harder than it really is and it takes little yarn. Use some of your stash to try it ? You may be surprised.

      Delete
  21. This is absolutely wonderful!!! Thanx a bunk for sharing this treasure with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love the old favorites. They are lovely to use up your stash and to share or sell at fairs

      Delete
  22. I never liked it when they were made over either rubber or plastic rings. In my mind, heat and rubber/plastic just don't 'belong' together.

    Thank you for taking the time to work out a rubber/plastic free version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never minded working over the rubber rings. I never tried the 6-pac rings cause thin plastic did not make sense to me. But the main reason I did it without the “rings” is because the rubber rings like so many other things are in the past. I like to seek the future with one foot solidly anchored in my past. We learn from the past, we grow in the future. May I never go so far I forget where I came from. Thank you

      Delete
  23. This is wonderful. My Aunt who would be 112 made this a long, long time ago and it just fascinated me. I could never figure out how she made it. I believe we have the one with the rubber rings. In fact we have 2 that she made. Thank you so much for this pattern and I will enjoy trying my hand at such a unique hot mat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just found this pattern. It looks great. I think I will try it. I also have what my oldest daughter says is a bad habit of turning all patterns into afghans. If I try that with this one, I will let you know. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's a real talent. Let me know what happens. I would love to see it.
      You're welcome for the pattern, thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  25. This pattern reminds me of Celtic knot work, which I love. So I'm going to try it in Omega Crystal thread and a #5 steel hook in green red and gold colors to see how it makes up for Christmas ornaments for my 12 grandchildren. I also think it will work well for a fancy dollhouse rug for this year's Victorian Christmas swap for my doll club. Thanks for the pattern. ~Kweenie~

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Dorie. I made two of these this AM. One for the 4th of July with ww. It's absolutely darling. The other I made in cotton with black, white and salt and pepper. This is a great way to use up odds and ends. Love, love, love this pattern. The weaving can be a little challenging. There are so many possibilities besides trivets. My mind is in creativity mode from your inspirations. Thank you for your time to convert this pattern and sharing with us. You're a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your gracious compliments. I have always believed sharing is caring. I have made the original pattern with canning jar rings and also with plastic 6 pack rings, the first now being hard to get and the second is extinct. I then converted the pattern and I have used the new version to make trivets, with Sugar & Crème, Super Saver, Rug yarn and mystery yarn. I have also used the converted pattern with metallic yarn and bedspread cotton to produce “Office to Evening T-shirt toppers” and/or jewelry as well as Christmas Tree Ornaments/Package ties. Those plastic/bone curtain rings are great to crochet over and you can get different sizes. What you do with the pattern is your decision. So glad you are enjoying the pattern.
      Dorie

      Delete
    2. Hi Dorie, I was a caregiver for a 95 year old woman, Ruby. She passed away. Her daughter in law had an estate sale this weekend. I went and bought a few skeins of yarn. Knowing the rest would be discarded in some fashion, I went back 2 hours later to buy the rest. I just couldn't see Ruby's "stash" discarded. Her daughter in law put in all in a bag, asked for $2. I could hardly carry the bag. I got home, sorted, and thought of your trivets. I made several today in fall colors which I am gifting to the daughter in law. They're beautiful. I'll gift them with some mini pumpkins which I'll work on tonight. Again, thank you for the pattern. You're absolutely right...sharing is caring. I'm so happy to be utilizing Ruby's dreams of..........Joan

      Delete
    3. I am so delighted to receive your comment. I am sorry for the loss of your friend, and I am sure she would be thrilled you obtained her stash. The more yarn I get, the more I can share to friends and worthy causes. I have a huge stash myself and try to work it down but it seems to grow in the tubs when I am not looking. I hope when my time is past someone will adopt my stash and share the love like you are doing here. Thanks for your note. It made my day.

      Delete
  27. These were very popular in the 70's too! I so remember making them back then, but I couldn't remember the pattern. Thanks so much for posting this...Love the memories!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who says you can't go home again? A little Blast from the Past reminds us where we started. So glad you found the pattern. Thanks for your comment.
      Dorie

      Delete
  28. I love this! My mother-in-law made 2 trivets w/ the caning rings for me 35 yrs ago! I use them constantly to this day. Can't wait to try this one! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one little reminder of the good old days.
      Thanks for your comment
      Dorie

      Delete
  29. Just made some of these, fun to make and there is no end to color combinations. all my friends and family wants one. thanks for the free tutorial. red, white and blue is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like fun, fast and easy to make. I am glad you like the pattern. Thanks for your comment. Dorie

      Delete
  30. i want to see it done with coke can rings and made large into a hearth rug with bulky wool yarn i may try it ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of it being done with coke can rings although I have never see it or done it that way. I used rubber jar ring in the beginning then updated to the way it is printed here. I do it in this manner now. Soda can rings are also getting hard to find as shrink wrap gains popularity.
      Your plans for a rug made this way sound quite interesting. I you should make one I would love to see it.
      Thank you for your note. Dorie

      Delete